Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Why?

If you were to come up and ask me why, specifically, I have decided to homeschool, you would most likely get an incoherent hodge podge of half statements and random mothering narratives as an answer. I should probably work on this, sculpt some beauty of a response out of the mass of raw material currently piled in my mind, dense with significance but not all that pretty to look at. The unglamorous truth is, that I stumbled onto this choice; I tripped repeatedly over the same lousy cracks in a system I really wanted to believe in but finally gave up on when I realized the tools to fix it were simply not available.

First, there was, "Code Red" a drill my children went through to prepare them for a possible attack on the school from a fictitious gun toting nut job in response to the recent shootings at Virgina Tech. and NIU. "I curled up really small by the teacher's desk, mama. No one would find me there!" said my six-year-old daughter, Priscilla. Then there was the permission slip for "AIDS" education. Could the second and third grade teachers instruct my son about the risks of this life threatening autoimmune disease? My same son who refused to go outside last summer after dusk for fear of catching West Nile virus from a mosquito. There were tears of disappointment over our permanent lack of funds for the electronic gaming systems everyone else in class had. There is the stress filled rush in the mornings - the chaos of homework, hungry bellies, and grumpy attitudes in the afternoon. And then there is that ache in my gut when they board the bus - when they leave me most days of the week to be influenced by others.

Why, you ask, am I choosing to take matters into my own hands? Why on the cusp of the freedom I had been pining over for years - three of four kids out of my hair - would I change my tune mid-song and trade my long awaited solo career for membership in a choir of five all over again?

Well, its complicated in a ridiculously simple kind of way:

I love my family.

5 comments:

Has said...

My 6-year-old had exactly the same experience with the emergency drill at school this year. She didn't understand that it wasn't going to be real. She was expecting a real evil man with a gun to appear in the classroom. She was terrified.

Martha said...

Beautifully said....and I love my family, too. I am so glad to see that you are "on the cusp" because I am the same. We've decided to homeschool our girls next year, too!

Molly Sabourin said...

I am surprised, Selena (though I probably shouldn't be) that this recent phobia of violence affects your part of the world as well. I feel so sad for your little one! How horribly frightening that must have been!

Marfa!

I am so happy that you, too, are making this choice! That actually makes me feel a little braver. Keep me updated on your own progress with the transition. I'll check your beautiful blog for updates.

emily said...

I think that's a great reason :-)

Kelleylynn said...

"I love my family."

That about sums it up...you are making a sacrifical choice much like the one when you and DH decided to receive the gift of parenthood. When you defended that, you had not only a third child, BUT the nerve to go ahead and have a fourth. Time for the mini-van which most shun away from because of what it means = LARGE family!
Forgive me, I am generally speaking of the world's actions.

Also, when by God's Grace you both entered into The One True & Holy Apostolic Faith. Remember what you have to defend about the Theotokos, icons, Priests, etc.

Simply stated you love your family and realize how vital it is for you to be there for them...how you, like no other, know your children, know their tempers, faults, fears, their unbelievable strengths and abilities.

On a more legal standing "HS is our Constitutional right as Americans" We have freedom...
Look into Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). A group of lawyers from all 50 states (and internationally) representing the homeschooling family. Their journal is insightful...I believe you can read it on-line.

Please forgive my lengthy responses, forgive me should I dare sound like a "know it all". I've learned to hold these things as "treasures" to keep in my pocket...to most certainly share along the way.
By your prayers...