Friday, March 28, 2008

A Few of My Favorite (and not so favorite) Things...


Things I expect to make me happy but usually don't:

New Shoes

Another brown sweater

Loads of "Free" time

Weighing three less pounds

Avoiding something difficult

A haircut

Getting my point across

Assuaging my curiosity



Things that are surprisingly satisfying:

An empty dishwasher

A first cup of coffee

A great book

A real conversation with one of my kids

Holding hands with my husband

Going out for breakfast with a friend

Clean sheets

Rejoicing with those who rejoice, mourning with those who mourn

A hot shower

"unnecessary" beauty (i.e. a handknit sweater, a homemade card, carefully chosen words, satiny clerical vestments that change with the Church seasons, music, an ornately set table, etc.)

Morning prayers

Offering a sincere compliment

Freshly cut flowers in a vase by my kitchen sink

An organized sock drawer

9 comments:

Kelleylynn said...

More transparency...Love it!! Thanks for sharing -- I needed to smile today and you gave me that :)

Has said...

Add to the first category: Having the last word.

Add to the second: Rain (in Australia)

Thanks Molly!

Rachel said...

That gave me a smile I needed, thanks.

The things we really need are certainly different from the things that really make us happy.

Kh. Patty said...

Amen -- all so true. Except my brown sweaters are sea green tee-shirts.

Molly Sabourin said...

I must also add health to things that are truly satisfying! Waking up with the energy to face the day is a gift I will try my best to never take for granted.

Does it not rain much in Australia Selena? Is that an obvious fact that only I don't know about?

It is nice hear from you too, Kelleylynn, Rachel and Patti - all of you are kindred spirits in this quest for a life of peace and Christ centered fulfillment.

Has said...

I also LOVE waking up with energy! In my morning prayers when I remember that God has raised me from sleep, it reminds me also that no matter how I feel, it's a whole lot more energetic than being dead - thanks to the grace of mercy of God! (that helps me not to whine about having to get up early and work hard)

Australia is really dry. Apparently I live in the driest state in the driest continent in the world. And we're currently experiencing a terrible drought. In fact the suicide rate amongst our farmers has risen. Some Christians pray for rain - others wonder whether Australia deserves a drought and they pray for mercy.

Molly, how does one organise a sock drawer? "Organised sock drawer" seems to be an oxymoron, in my house.

Also, do you care to share any ideas for helping small children stay quiet and attentive during Divine Liturgy? Or is that also an oxymoron?

love
Selena

Martha said...

I have to agree on the sock-thing...I actually used to fold underwear, too, it was great, Rob thought I was crazy. Now, I don't have time for those small things, socks on the right, undies on the left....that's it.

Molly, please join "People with Icons!" here: http://flickr.com/groups/655066@N25/

::Sylvia:: said...

This is so true! LOL. Just goes to show what's really important in life and what isn't. p.s. I have to confess to still folding undies :)

Has said...

Hey Molly, I just remembered your "another brown sweater" comment and came back to this blog to mention a fabulous book that has recently saved me from unnecessary and wasteful clothing purchases... "It's So You" by Mary Warren Sheehan. I highly recommend it!!! Helps you figure out exactly what to buy and what not to buy, so you're never left wandering around in shopping malls, or getting home and regretting your purchase.