Monday, March 17, 2008

Every Bit Matters

Dear Sir or Madam,

You are cordially invited to the unveiling of my eldest son's blogsite, Every Bit Matters. I came up with this idea when Elijah started to become very interested in the mysterious world of internet technology. Rather than automatically banning him from such addictive, risky and time wasting pursuits as can only be found on the world wide web (hence increasing his fascination and likelihood to one day explore it on his own without my knowledge or guidance), I offered to help him set up his own personal space for expression and interaction with friends and family. The rules for maintaining his blog are as follows:

I oversee everything from his signing in to his posting of comments.

Whatever he posts we will read through together for grammar and clarity, thus hopefully giving him a stronger writing voice as opposed to massacring his communication skills through the excessive use of texting and hastily typed e-mails.

I want for Elijah to learn from me and not from peers at school how to navigate through cyber space, how to avoid the dangerous pitfalls of addiction and vouyersim. I want him to understand that there are ethics involved and that his internet "presence" should at all time reflect our morals and faith in Christ. And finally, I want for him to create, to compose, to become articulate and enamored with the process of shaping thoughts, dreams, and visions into stories. I want for him to be able to share these pieces with relatives who will relish in every word he offers as only relatives can.

I hope you enjoy his ponderings even half as much as I do!