Thursday, March 6, 2008

Decision Making

I've been corresponding via e-mail with a friend of mine - a friend, by the way, who I wish had a blog of her own (hint, hint) as she is wickedly funny and insightful. This friend is a fellow fence straddler in that we both, at least on this subject, see valid points all around - neither of us would categorize the education of children as a black and white, cut and dried issue. Our written exchange has got me thinking about how it is, exactly, that I make any major decisions as a parent what with so many alternative options always hovering over my shoulder. When you are naturally quite wishy-washy (notice my telling blog title), spending an exorbitant amount of time, wasting a foolish amount of energy on neither here nor there quandaries such as what kind of conditioner would work best on my frizzy hair or which movie to rent from Blockbuster, coming face to face with something life changing can be daunting, to say the least.

And yet here I am: a mother to four children all born at home (or in various apartments throughout the city of Chicago to be exact), an Orthodox Christian convert, and the soon to be talk of our neighborhood - once word gets out that the Sabourin kids will not be at the bus stop, or in anyone's classroom, this fall. Even I look back with surprise at how I got here, more convinced than ever of a God and His master plans. Take the Orthodox thing, for example, as it represents clearly how my mind and spirit cringe most nervously at the weight of a given impossibility just shortly before stepping into it like a custom made dress that fits perfectly.

My first reaction to the Church was, "H-m-m, interesting for someone, anyone else!" I then switched my tune to, "Well, there is certainly more to it than I originally estimated, but a move in that direction would be too extreme." After more studying and praying and observing, I became seriously intrigued but was saddened by the fact that my friends and family just wouldn't understand, and thus better for now to stay put in my current circumstances. But then finally, after two years as a bystander, the longing to convert became simply overwhelming. I could hardly bear to attend one more Liturgy without communing as a member. My ever increasing desire for the Orthodox Church drowned out the stubborn nagging of my doubts. I knew, then, I was ready to be Chrismated.

It was the exact same pattern with Homeschooling:

1: "Good for you!"

2: "
I see your point, but it just wouldn't work for this period of our lives."

3: "Man, I would like to, but people would think we were crazy!"

4: "I want my kids with me now, under my guidance and influence, regardless of the upheavals and opinions of others!"

It's a miracle is what it is, my embracing of challenges too big for my flighty tendencies. Christ is wise in His dealings with me, revealing just as much of His will as I can handle - leading me one day, one small revelation at a time toward an unknown future. I don't know what is best for your children or their children or anyone else's children who don't live under this roof or share my last name. But I believe that prayers for guidance, despite the trembling in our voices, will eventually lead to answers clear and specific. So I wait now, with my imperfect faith, for the strength to follow through on this endeavor.

7 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

Found your blog! I'm enjoying all the thoughts so far, am looking forward to the future. You "daily schedule" from your previous post looks surprisingly similar to my day-to-day. Only we use our evenings for weaving the cloth that we then use to make all of our clothes and then we tann the leather for our shoes....

Kh. Patty said...

And you're going to get your own cow too, right? I think that's essential if you're going to be making your own butter and cheese and things.

Anyway, didn't you start out homeschooling one or two of the kids before you moved to Indiana? Not that you should be an old pro because of that, but I thought there was some previous experience there. Am I wrong?

Just curious

Molly Sabourin said...

Well yes Patty,

Elijah was home with me for first grade in Chicago but to be honest, I knew we were going to put him into public school for second grade, after moving, so I basically made sure he was "caught up" in terms of reading and general math skills. I consider this my first time homeschooling as a long term lifestyle rather than as a stop-gap of sorts. Also, I have had no experience homeschooling three children at once or actively pursuing co-ops, extra curricular activities, etc. I feel very much the novice!

Sarah said...

Dear Molly,

I am so impressed that you gave birth to your children at home! I am a midwife and I know that in America, just as here in Australia, it is definitely not the accepted way of having children. It is so wonderful to hear that you did that! If I am ever blessed with a husband and children I hope I will be able to have them at home too.

Sarah :)

Lyda said...

Hi there,

My husband sent me a link to your blog. We are Catholics who have recently started attending a Byzantine rite Catholic Church. I've listened to your podcasts on Ancient Faith Radio before, and he thought I'd appreciate this blog as we are seriously considering homeschooling our kids, too. I have one year left before my oldest starts kindergarten, so I will read your blog with interest. One kink in the chain for me is that our local public school system is starting a Montessori Magnet for 3-5 year olds in the fall, and I'm debating sending my soon to be 4 year old. I love the Montessori method, but I also fear it is too much time away from home, too soon. It's 5 days per week, half day. If it were just 2 or 3 days per week, I might be really tempted....

Anyway, I look forward to keeping up with your blog. :-)

Molly Sabourin said...

Hi Lyda!

I am so glad that you found your way here to the homeschool blog and hope sincerely that you will share some of the thoughts and discoveries you encounter along your own journey! My oldest son, Elijah, by the way, attended a Montessori preschool about five years ago and I was really impressed with the program! It was a half day class, however. It sounds like you have some solid options to choose from ...what a blessing!

Sarah,

Now I am impressed! I have always been in awe of midwives, especially after having homebirths. I can't imagine a more fulfilling occupation! It truly is a mystical experience - birthing your children amongst love ones in the quiet of your own home without needles or interventions. I have such warm memories of those first moments with each of my sons and daughters.

Kh. Patty said...

I didn't realize you always intended to put them into public school -- I just thought of you as "one of those homeschoolers." Of course, it is all based on what your Mom told me about four years ago. :) And I'm sure having all four at home will be totally different!