Thursday, February 28, 2008

Measuring Up

Well I found a homeschool co-op through a friend of mine. Every other week they gather at the Library and offer projects for homeschooled kids of all ages based on a theme (I think now it is Ancient Rome). There are also meetings for the parents once a month. I was excited and relieved to hear that we might not be doomed to socialize with just each other and the mailman after all, but there is an element of nervousness for me. In my rudely stereotypical mindset, I imagine the homeschool mothers who run such an organized set-up to be...well, super organized and most likely perfect. I worry that I would fit into such a group like Hostess Twinkies on a tray filled otherwise with organic spelt bread. I feel it is important for to me to examine these misconceptions now, lest I assume myself right into a pit of "never good enough" insecurity - lest I turn generous, seasoned role models into yardsticks up against which I measure my own "Sucesses" and "Failures" as a mother.

Trying to pick just one path to walk in the land of Homeschooling, to me feels like trying to decide what flavor ice cream to get at Baskin Robbins (is that just a Midwest thing?). There are many, many options and everyone else's choice looks so great. I don't want to flounder around for the next several years second guessing myself, wondering if I should have gone about it her way, their way, anyway but the way I am currently doing it. I do need to lay aside my pride, here, and admit I know nothing. I need help from these lovely individuals who have successfully overcome their own fears to do what I have, as of yet, not done. I desire to be a more gracious student, myself - one who can admit with honesty her weaknesses and apply the tips gleaned from others to improve them, yet all the while staying confident in my own expertise as the mom of these specific children under my care.

1 comment:

Kelleylynn said...

A veteran Homeschooler once told me that we are all uniquely made with unique gifts, talents, and God-given abilities. We most certainly can acquire more along the way...We are fearfully and wonderfully made!
Pace yourself and keep in mind that you are their mother...God gave them to you & your husband, as a gift, you are able through Christ our Lord!